Jobs & Internships
The Columbia Film Society (The Nickelodeon Theatre) is hiring:
20 Hours per week
Wage Range: $15-17/hour
About Columbia Film Society
For forty years, the Columbia Film Society (CFS) has served Columbia as the gathering place for lovers of film and critical dialogue through its two programs, the Nickelodeon Theatre (the Nick) and Indie Grits Labs (IG Labs). The Nick, the only nonprofit, independent art house theatre in the state, exhibits a mix of first-run independent films, curated series, and special community screenings. IG Labs offers media education and workshops for children, youth, and adults. CFS also presents the annual Indie Grits Festival, a four-day event celebrating the visionary and experimental culture of the Southeast through film, art, and music.
Our organization does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, class, creed, physical or mental disability.
Job Duties and Experience
- Answer phone calls and greet walk-ins. Answer customer questions knowledgeably and politely.
- Organize incoming and outgoing mail and distribute appropriately.
- Ensure working order of office equipment.
- Maintain appropriate levels of all office supplies.
- Assist with planning and execution of board meetings.
- Collect monthly credit card receipts and reconcile bills at the end of each month.
- Account and class all incoming invoices and scan into Bill.com on a weekly basis.
- Maintain organized vendor files.
- Assist with grant reporting.
- Pick up and open mail at PO box and onsite.
- Handles other administrative tasks as needed.
- Update member database (Altru), processing membership purchases and renewals, donations, updating member benefits and profile information.
- Distribute all membership-related documentation in a timely manner,
- Coordinate stewardship communications
- Track and update member comps in database
- Assist in fundraising campaigns.
- Other duties as assigned.
The work is performed in an office setting during regularly scheduled office hours, 9:30 am to 6:00 pm Monday – Friday. It may require some flexibility and availability for evening and weekend activities, particularly for community and organizational events.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
High capability in Excel/Google sheets
Experience with databases
Extraordinary customer service
To Apply please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject header please specify: Administrative Coordinator
The Columbia Film Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer, drug free workplace, and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.
All applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, religion, color, sex,
gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, national origin, ancestry, physical/mental disability,
medical condition, military/veteran status, genetic information, marital status, ethnicity, alienage or
any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. By
completing this application, you are seeking to join a team of hardworking professionals dedicated to consistently delivering outstanding service to our customers and contributing to the financial success of the organization, its clients, and its employees. Equal access to programs, services, and employment is available to all qualified persons. Those applicants requiring accommodation to complete the application and/or interview process should contact a management representative.
The Nickelodeon is a 501(c)3 arthouse cinema and an equal opportunity employer that has served Columbia and the state of South Carolina since 1979.
The Nickelodeon Theatre is looking for fun, energetic, and friendly people to join our team. Our part-time Theater Associates work under the supervision of our Nickelodeon Shift Leaders, assisting customers in concessions, box office, and their Nickelodeon customer experience.
This is a part-time, 10-15 hours/week position with a starting compensation of $9.00/hour, depending on the theatre’s COVID operating status. After a 45 day review, a $1.00/hour raise will be considered.
This position reports to the Director of Operations.
The Columbia Film Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer, drug-free workplace, and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.
All applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, national origin, ancestry, physical/mental disability, medical condition, military/veteran status, genetic information, marital status, ethnicity, alienage, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. By completing this application, you are seeking to join a team of hardworking professionals dedicated to consistently delivering outstanding service to our customers and contributing to the financial success of the organization, its clients, and its employees. Equal access to programs, services, and employment is available to all qualified persons. Those applicants requiring an accommodation to complete the application and/or interview process should contact a management representative.
Job Duties and Experience
Nickelodeon Theater Associates should:
- Create a warm and welcoming environment for guests
- Greet guests in a timely and friendly manner.
- Operate the point-of-sale system efficiently and effectively.
- Be knowledgeable about screening times and locations, ticket pricing, and the Nickelodeon Theatre membership program.
- Answer questions from guests and resolve any concerns, both in person and over the phone.
- Assemble concessions orders in a timely manner.
- Monitor theaters for picture/sound quality, temperature, lighting, and guest behavior.
- Proactively clean and maintain the exterior and interior areas, including the theaters, restrooms, lobby, concession area, and box office.
- Adhere to all COVID-19 voluntary health and safety guidelines followed by the theater.
- Restock concessions when needed and maintain a clean workspace.
- Be an advocate for the Nick! Promote and keep up-to-date on all upcoming screenings and events at the Nick and Indie Grits Labs.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple requests efficiently
- Experience working within the Google Suite.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to work Thursday through Sunday shifts with variable hours; weekend availability is mandatory. Availability within the 2pm to 10pm window is required, but is flexible.
- Position will require frequent standing, bending/kneeling, and heavy lifting: 25 lbs for popcorn bags and 55 – 87 lbs for kegs.
- Position will require attendance at a paid Nickelodeon employee orientation.
- Must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19
If interested, please send your cover letter and resume to Shanel Jackson, Director of Operations and Membership, at email@example.com with Theater Associate in the subject line. You may also send questions to this address.