We’re Hiring: Nickelodeon Theatre Director
Nov 21, 2016 by Savannah Taylor on The Nickelodeon Blog
The Columbia Film Society is looking for a dynamic, forward-thinking leader to join one of the most creative and hard working teams in the art house cinema sector. Created in response to the organization’s rapid growth, the Nickelodeon Theatre Director position will oversee the programming, marketing, operations and staff of the Nickelodeon Theatre. The primary artistic leader for the exhibition arm of the Columbia Film Society, the Nickelodeon Director serves as the public face for the Nick’s retail organization. The Nickelodeon Director reports to the CEO of the Columbia Film Society and serves on the senior leadership team along with the Indie Grits Labs Director, the Development Manager and the CEO.
Job Duties and Experience
Shaping the artistic vision for the Nickelodeon Theatre, the Nickelodeon Theatre Director works with the programming staff, film buyer, and community members to program both screens of the Nick throughout the year, including:
- Managing Programming Coordinators
- With programming team, developing and maintaining five year programming plan for special series and festivals
- Overseeing the development of six to eight curated film series each fiscal year
- Maintaining regular contact with film buyer to insure high-quality first-run programming
- With programming and marketing teams, establishing and communicating weekly screening times
- Seeking out opportunities for special screenings of particular interest to our community
- Ensuring programming calendar is regularly shared and understood throughout the organization
- Staying abreast of trends in the independent cinema sector
With two screens operating 365 days a year, the Nickelodeon Theatre Director will oversee efforts to effectively communicate the richness of the Nick’s programming to local, regional and national audiences, by:
- Developing and implementing innovative and effective strategies for promoting the Nickelodeon’s programming – including first-run independent films, special series and screenings
- Managing Designer/Interactive Coordinator, Marketing Manager and other marketing support staff
- Maintaining a yearly marketing calendar for special series, Nick Mags and special events
- Working with the senior leadership team to implement innovative institutional marketing spikes that raise general awareness of the organization
- Insuring Nickelodeon messaging is effectively communicated through excellent customer service experiences online, over the phone, in-person, and in the lobby
- Measuring and reporting outcomes of marketing efforts
Finance and Operations
Protecting and managing the physical and fiscal assets of the Nickelodeon is essential to insuring the organization fulfills its mission. The Nickelodeon Theatre Director will oversee the finances and operations of the organization, including:
- Managing the Operations Manager and Bookkeeper
- Developing and managing the annual operating budget for the Nickelodeon Theatre, in coordination with the Senior Leadership Team
- Managing the day-to-day and long term finances of the Nickelodeon Theatre
- Overseeing and approving quarterly finance reports for board meetings
- Overseeing annual audit process
- Overseeing the upkeep and maintenance of theater facilities and equipment, including work done by third party contractors
- Insuring the Nickelodeon is in compliance with necessary state and local licenses, taxes, and other government filings
- Annually reviewing organization’s insurance policies to insure sufficient coverage
As a member of the organization’s Senior Leadership Team, the Nickelodeon Theatre Director will play a critical role in shaping the future of the organization while working together to insure the overall health of the theater and staff, by:
- Working with staff to best fulfill the Nickelodeon’s mission statement
- Serving on the Senior Leadership Team with CEO, Indie Grits Lab Director and Development Manager to support organizational cohesion and innovation
- With the Senior Leadership Team, developing and implementing institutional marketing spikes throughought the year
- Serving as a public face for the organization at press, cultural and community events
- Participating in fundraising efforts with the Development team to insure financial growth for the organization
- Overseeing and coordinating the interaction of Programming, Marketing and Theater Operations
- Hiring/firing/evaluating organization staff, including Marketing Manager, Programming Coordinator and Operations Manager.
- Overseeing Theatre Managers to insure a high quality viewing experience
- Leading weekly staff meetings
- Leading regular updates and reviews to strategic plan
- Serving as Human Resources director for organization staff
- Effectively communicating the progress of the theater to the CEO and Board of Directors
Traits and Characteristics
The new Nickelodeon Theatre Director will be an energetic and hardworking person dedicated to positively transforming his/her community through the arts. Understanding that art house cinemas like the Nick play a critical role in fostering conversations of importance to our communities, the Nick Director must be a strong communicator who can effectively listen and respond to the community we serve. To be successful, the Nick Director must enjoy working with a creative and diverse team, staying open to new ideas and differing viewpoints while remaining committed to helping his/her team reach its highest potential. Finally, the Nick Director is someone who will thrive in a challenging environment, working well with a leadership team committed to shaping a brighter and more equitable future for the Nickelodeon, the art house cinema field, and the city of Columbia.
Qualified applicants will have at least five years of increasing responsibilities within a related arts field, preferably with a focus on media arts. This work history should include a strong track record of developing and managing programs of relevance to one’s community. Though not a requirement, knowledge of classic and independent film is highly valued. Qualified applicants must have a B.A. in a relevant field, an M.A. is preferred. In addition to demonstrating success as a manager of staff, qualified applicants will also have a history of strong financial management, including knowledge of Quickbooks, and experience developing annual programming and marketing plans. All members of our staff are expected to participate in fundraising efforts, so experience with donor interaction and cultivation is a must. Qualified candidates must possess strong public speaking skills as well as strong writing skills. Applicants must also be fully computer literate.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resumé and three professional references to [email protected] by 5pm EST on Monday, December 12.
All positions at the Columbia Film Society are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.